Friday 16 November 2012

'Cyril' – A Postscript


'Cyril' – A Postscript

It turns out things weren’t quite as bleak as I thought they were.

I hadn’t missed the funeral; it had just taken a while to arrange. And I was able to get time off work to attend it, and the committal.

There were more people there than I had expected: a gathering of, mainly, neighbours and nurses and social workers. Mr Mohammed was one of the pall-bearers. There were no relatives.

One of the hymns was ‘I, the Lord of Sea and Sky’, which includes the lyrics:

I the Lord of wind and flame,
I will tend the poor and lame.
I will set a feast for them.
My hand will save.
Finest bread I will provide
Till their hearts be satisfied.
I will give my life to them.
Whom shall I send?

Here I am, Lord. Is it I, Lord?
I have heard You calling in the night.
I will go, Lord, if You lead me.
I will hold your people in my heart.

[Daniel L Schutte, b 1947]

The words serve as an inspiration and encouragement; and a gentle reproach…

No comments:

Post a Comment